tmpfs or ramdisk

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Oct 4 10:56:47 PDT 2001

Michenaud Laurent wrote:
> I'm trying to optimize a web server performance.
> I would like to optimize disk speed.
>
> I was thinking at tmpfs or ramdisk.
>
> What's the best between both ?
> What would be the best fs for a ramdisk ? ext2, reiserfs ?

Generally speaking, the temporary nature of a ramdisk makes it
difficult to recommend reiserfs for this. How much space (fs size)
are you thinking about?

The reason I don't recommend reiserfs for this is because since the
filesystem is temporary, there would be no need to mess with writing
metadata to a journal. Plus the reiserfs journal takes up space.
Anyway, if you lose power or crash your system, whatever is in this
ramdisk is gonna say "bye bye" anyway.

I almost think tmpfs would be better, mount it and go. Of course, this
depends on how much memory you have to play with. Are you wanting to
use this for cache data or something? All in all, tmpfs is very
versatile! You can use it for most anything.
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org