tmpfs or ramdisk

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Thu Oct 4 10:24:57 PDT 2001

> I'm trying to optimize a web server performance.
> I would like to optimize disk speed.
>
> I was thinking at tmpfs or ramdisk.
>
> What's the best between both ?

Tmpfs shrinks to its contents' size, which is not relevant in this case as
your web files' size will probably be stable, and can be swapped out to
disk if needed, which may be interesting if you are short of real memory.
The rw speed, which is what matters most, will be the same for both
systems.

> What would be the best fs for a ramdisk ? ext2, reiserfs ?

Definitely ext2. Reiserfs will eat 32Mb of precious memory for a
journalling that's useless in volatile media, and the gain in speed
compared to ext2, if notable at this level, will be nothing compared to
the gain you've already reached using memory instead of disk.

--
Guillermo Pereyra Irujo
Mar del Plata, Argentina

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org