termcap question

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 4 09:45:43 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 09:40:07AM -0700, Scott Haugaard wrote:
> I've run into a couple of programs that request /etc/termcap and/or the
> termcap libraries.  I assumed that ncurses and terminfo replace this, but
> some programs still seem to want it.  XEmacs, for instance, won't compile.
> GNU Emacs compiles just fine.  Anybody out there have any suggestions for how
> I should deal with termcap?

The change from termcap to ncurses is often transparent. Most of the times
you can get away by changing -ltermcap to -lncurses in the link command,
LDFLAGS or wherever. We do something similar to install the procinfo
package.

If they explicitly require an /etc/termcap file, then I don't know. I
haven't come across such a program.

You could always try to fake it. Download the termcap library from
ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/termcap/ and see if there's an example /etc/termcap
file you could use. Have XEmacs link against ncurses and it may work.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org