installation of cdrecord needs an user "bin"

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Oct 4 08:22:09 PDT 2001

Fernando Arbeiza wrote:
> On Wed 03 Oct 2001 21:21, R. Bosch wrote:
>> If you go to the DEFAULTS directory, you'll see 'Defautls.linux'.
>> Edit THAT file and have fun ;-)
>
> Thanks, but I think I will create the user bin. It seems to be some kind of a
> standard user for administrative tasks:
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/usernames.html

Personally, I would take this with a big grain of salt. Standards are
good; I don't mean to dispute that. It's just that the pseudo-user, bin,
and the corresponding group, bin, are really not for administrative
purposes. It is not really a user who should accept logins. In fact,
if you have this user (I do), logins should be forbidden and disabled
completely.

I might be wrong in some of my explanation here, but user bin was
thought to be a good security thing. Basically, a great many of the
executables that don't need special access (setuid to root) don't
really need to be owned by root either.

Somewhere along the line, user bin was thought to be good. All of this
pertains to UNIX, not only Linux. You can read all about many of these
things in "The Red Book".

Do you want user bin on your system? Your decision, but you sure don't
want to allow any logins on that account if you do...

==== /etc/passwd ====
bin:x:1:1:bin:/dev/null:/bin/false

--
Jeff