Grub's shell doesn't work :-(

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Wed Oct 3 13:28:36 PDT 2001

> The grub-hint did not provide any answers for me :-(
> I even tried the method to copy the files stage1 and stag2 to
> the floppydisk.
> [ dd stage1 stage2 > /dev/floppy/0 ]

I have not tried to make a boot floppy, but do use grub installd to MBR
on the Hard drive.  I too found the hint(s) to be lacking in areas,
specialy since there is a new grub release since the hint was written.
I had to thorouly read the included grub docs to get things working.
`info grub` seems to be best.  Just have to get used to the info system
vs. man.  (P)revious, (N)ext, (U)p, using arrow keys with enter on
hyperlinks are your friends  :)

I have found this in the info manual:

     # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
     # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
     1+0 records in
     1+0 records out
     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
     153+1 records in
     153+1 records out
     #

Try that