Any clue of what is needed for setting up a print server?

Daniel Roethlisberger daniel at roe.ch
Wed Oct 3 12:00:47 PDT 2001

Mark Hymers <markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> I did an FHS compliant Samba install a couple of weeks back.
> I'll have to try and remember how I did it and write it up. I
> agree that the default paths are a complete and utter mess.

Some months ago I notified the Samba developers about Samba FHS
incompliance, after I installed a Samba printserver, and even had
to hack sources to get all the files to the right place. They said
they'd add optional FHS compliance to Samba, because they want to
stick to the default nonsense but historically "correct"
traditional setup with files all over the place. I've seen patches
on the Samba lists which add an FHS compliance option to configure
floating around. However I did not do any Samba installs since
then, dunno whether any of that stuff made it into the
distribution.

Cheers,
Dan

--