Any clue of what is needed for setting up a print server?

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Wed Oct 3 07:39:49 PDT 2001

On stardate Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:23:24 -0400
Jason began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:

> > > I have a well supported printer (Hp 520) , put I'm getting
> > > confused on
> > > what I need to run... lpd's, lpr's, xxx's?
>
> > i suggest CUPS, it was nice to compile and setup with lfs.
>
> CUPS is nice and, although I haven't tried it, you can setup SAMBA so
> that even 'doze machines can use your print server.

I just did this. heres how (for an individual printer)

in your smb.conf (why oh why does this go in $prefix/lib??!) put this:

[printer]
   comment = BJC-210 printer
   path = /var/spool/samba           (a directory samba can write in)
   printer = BJC210
   print command = lpr -oraw %s ; rm %s        (quick and dirty)
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

dont include the bracketed text :)