My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Andy Blower andy.blower at sopheon.com
Wed Oct 3 01:45:30 PDT 2001

I think it was re-ordering the partitions on my windows disk into disk order
using fdisk that may have caused the problem with Partition Magic.

Progress: I have completely scrapped the partitions of this disk now after
backing up over LAN to a mates PC. I have re-partitioned and installed
Windows 98 (first time - thought I ought to stop using Windows 95..) and W2k
Pro from work who have bought me a MSDN licence even though I do mainly
Solaris and Java. It should be easy enough to add the LFS disk and add
another boot option to the W2k menu that kicks off LILO from wherever I
like. I am not sure which I should go with for my main windows system - and
I suppose this is not the correct place to ask.. ;-)

My main concern before re-connecting the LFS disk is that the problems were
caused by a bootsector virus (I zeroed the first 10000 sectors of my windows
disk to try to delete any bootsector virus before proceeding). Is it
possible that my problems have been caused by a virus? Does anyone know
anything about these? It would have to be one that could also live in the
bootsector of partitions and not just the MBR?? Also one that can operate
even when booting Linux and cause partition corruption after reboots. Really
just guessing here. The reason I am worried about this is that I don't run
any virus checker software at home - never have done - and two of the
partitions on the windows disk had developed problems with particular
directories. When you looked at them they were full of rubbish files that
could not be read or deleted (names like _^h*^_2$._d& - I made this one up).
Also one of my partitions disappeared completely - the table entry was fine,
but nothing could find a valid FAT filesystem on the partition (and I had no
backup of some of it).

This had happened on both FAT16 and FAT32 partitions - is this likely to be
a virus or could it possibly be caused by accessing from LFS? The reason I
suspect the latter is not cos I distrust Linux.. but because I spotted an
interesting message in the Kernel boot up sequence. It said (paraphrased):
assuming ide bus speed is 33MHz, use <something>=speed to change. I have an
overclocked Celeron system: 333 oc to 415 as it will not run at 500MHz, so I
have my PCI bus running at 41.5MHz (The alternative is 27.5 at 83MHz/3) and
all my PCI cards have had no problems with this for over 2 years - I didn't
think that this would affect my ide disk channels but does it? If so maybe
accessing via Linux which thinks its at 33MHz is causing these problems (I'm
really grasping at straws here aren't I? ;-)

Anyway tonight's fun job is restoring the backed up data and reinstalling
10Gb of windows programs and games.. oh joy.

Any advice or tips welcome.

Andy.