devfs and bootscripts...

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Tue Oct 2 19:48:59 PDT 2001

> My proposition is, "if you're not running devfsd, you're not using
> devfs".

Mine is: "if you want devfsd, then you may not want devfs" :)

If you want devfsd to wrap the real paths to the devices into /dev/ttyS2
or /dev/hdb1, then your conflicting program's wrongly hardcoded paths
should be fixed instead. With devfsd you are 'fixing' devfs's names.

If you want devfsd to change the default permissions for the devices, then
you can set them in your bootscripts, just like you set up the firewall
rules. Devfsd will read the permissions from a config file anyway.

If you want devfsd to have an always-with-the-same-name link to whichever
cdrom is first this time, then you've already got it without devfsd in
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0.

If you want devfsd to use devfs just like if it wasn't there, then you may
not want devfs at all. I do not mean devfsd is useless, I mean it is worth
use it as an enhancement for devfs, not as a wrapper.

--
Guillermo Pereyra Irujo
Mar del Plata, Argentina

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org