My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Tue Oct 2 09:58:51 PDT 2001

On 2001.10.02 16:56 Florian Engelhardt wrote:
> Tuesday, October 02, 2001, 4:20:43 PM, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>
> >> Are you sure? I used fdisk and did not ask it to reorder the table, so
> entry
>
> > I didn't know you could tell fdisk to not re-order a partition table.
> > Usually the kernel finds the partitions in the order it finds them from
> > beginning to end.
>
> No, it finds them in the same order as they are listed in the
> partition table. The first table entry is not necessarily the first
> partition on the disk. Newer versions of fdisk print a warning message
> in that case and offer to fix the partition order (x (expert mode), f
> (fix partition order)).

I can second this, my partitions are almost in reverse order on the disk.
Didn't actually know you could reorder them. As for booting windows with
LILO, it's nothing to worry about, I've been in a real stew sometimes with
swapping disks around but LILO always pulled through after some research.
Take a look at http://www.wwnet.net/~stevelim/booting.html for some dual
boot solutions.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org