gears

Marco Rinck marco at romulus23.de
Tue Oct 2 09:41:53 PDT 2001

* Ian Molton <imolton at clara.net> [011002 13:47]:
> On stardate Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:45:59 +1200
> Simon began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:
>
> > Question - how *do* you get that kind of frame rate?
>
> Antoher question... Everyone is so keen to get Quake3 running at over
> 200FPS. why? The monitor only displays (say)75-120 frames/sec.

You can tell a program not to sync with monitor refreshes, that it
doesn't wait for the refresh of the display and writes its frame to
graphics memory when the program is ready and not when the monitor is
ready. A side effect of this is that the display can be flickering.

My Q3 frame rate at 1024x768 with highest quality is 80 FPS. glxgears
says 1600 FPS.

--
Ciao,
Marco