Cross compiling

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.uklinux.net
Tue Oct 2 09:08:20 PDT 2001

John McSwain wrote:

> I have i586 machines and a i686 (Duron).  I am trying to setup a patition
> on the i686 with an LFS-3.0 system that I can use to build a system I can
> transfer to an i586.  Somewhat using the hint "Cross-compiling on ix86
> platforms" I have done the following:
>
> 1. Used a k6-200 to build LFS-3.0
> 2. Transferred this system to the i686
> 3.  Implemented the uname hack to give "i586"
> 4.  Used this sytem to build another LFS-3.0 which works fine
> 5.  Transferred this new system back to the k6-200 where it fails to boot.
>
> On the k6-200 the kernel will load and then when it mounts the root file
> system it hangs.  Besides the uname hack I had CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS set to
> "-O3 -march=i586" on all builds.

This is what I have been doing for a bootable CD, but have so far been
unable to test on anything like a 686; ( I have only K6s)

Since it is hanging in the scripts checkfs and mountfs, called from rcS.d I
suggest that you add lots of echo "I am now starting swap" type messages
throughout these scripts; and others called by rcS.d

If you can identify which program is hanging, (may be mount except that it
has already re-mounted root as read-only using standard scripts); then you
can replace this program with one that is built on a K6.  Please post the
results if you can debug this; as I noticed that some packages builds
ignore the CFLAGS variable; but these were not to do with start up.

Is the last thing that it says the actual  "Remounting root file system in
read-write mode..."; because, if so, it has already done several mounts;
and the hang may be in the next scripts setclock or loadkeys

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org