Programs run from terminal but not from menu

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Tue Oct 2 08:10:30 PDT 2001

Steve Bougerolle wrote:

> Either with startx or GDM, the problem is the same.  Is there a particular
> place to set a path for the GNOME menu?  If there is, it must be different
> from the Run command in the menu, because that works...

I don't want to dive in too deep here since I don't use GNOME. But
first off, I use startx mostly. I used to use KDM and/or XDM ...
Regardless, here is my setup. We use the same system-wide equivalents
of ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession.

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -> xsession
/etc/X11/xinit/xsession

==== for XDM and friends ====
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession contains the following at the top:
# set the general environment
[ -r /etc/profile ] && source /etc/profile
if [ -r $HOME/.bash_profile ]; then
        source $HOME/.bash_profile
else
        source $HOME/.profile
fi

and it finishes off by pointing to:
startup=/etc/X11/xinit/xsession
====

==== /etc/X11/xinit/xsession ====
PRI_ENVKDE=/opt/kde2/bin/kde2
ALT_ENVKDE=/etc/config.d/kde2

if [ -f $PRI_ENVKDE ]; then
        echo "source $PRI_ENVKDE"
        source $PRI_ENVKDE
        echo
elif [ -f $ALT_ENVKDE ]; then
        echo "source $ALT_ENVKDE"
        source $ALT_ENVKDE
        echo
fi

/usr/bin/printenv
<snip />
====

The echo and printenv are the for diagnostic purposes. If needed, all
relevant info is now in x-$USER.log if $USER wants a log kept... I just
put the kde-related environment stuff in a separate file because if
X is not running we don't want our environment polluted with extra crap.
And besides, the three humans using this machine all use blackbox.

I don't know if any of this will help, but here it is anyway.
Of course, translate the above as appropriate for your system.
Especially if you use ~/.xinitrc and/or ~/.xsession instead of
the system-wide approach.
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org