GCC-3.0.1

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 2 04:58:42 PDT 2001

> I'm thinking of installing gcc-3.0.1 on my LFS-3.- build.  Has anyone else
> run it, and have there been any problems or issues I should be aware of?
> --
I have been using gcc-3.0.1 since it came out. I have not detected any
stability problems with the kernel or any other program. However, I have
had to either patch the programs or makefiles for quite a few projects.

If you want things to compile as cleanly as they do with 2.95.3 , then
I would suggest that you wait a few more months until projects catch up
with gcc.

The strangest thing I have found is the situation with X4.1.
After I do  the normal make world /install, I have to change gcc to g++
and remake directory and then make install again. I believe this was in
the glxinfo (glx something or other) dir.
It would not work if I changed gcc to g++ before the first make world.
When this worked for me , I did
not look any farther for a rational explanation, but I am sure there
is a proper fix. I will probably look for it myself it I get some time.

jpd
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org