Problems with gnome-terminal not starting properly under GDM

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Tue Oct 2 02:25:05 PDT 2001

On 02/10/01 14:19 Christian von Kietzell wrote:
> What do you need an adduser script for? There's useradd to create
> users. With useradd -D you can set reasonable defaults for all users.

1) useradd doesn't make home directories, or set permissions for them.
2) useradd CERTAINLY doesn't copy any sort of skeleton system into the home
directories it doesn't make.
3) useradd does nothing about other difficult messes like synchronizing
SAMBA passwords with unix ones.
4) ... I'm sure there are more advantages but I'm too lazy to think.

An adduser script is a nice place to deposit all the other small jobs that
go with setting up a new user.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org