startx

Heinz Kirchmann kirchman at dfki.uni-kl.de
Tue Oct 2 01:29:41 PDT 2001

Yesterday I was wondering about some strange behaviour
in correlation with XFree86_4.1.0. I missed the ~/.Xauthority
file and my hostname was messed up to '-f' after calling
startx (but only sometimes, i.e. when I started X as root -
as I know now).
So I checked the startx script and found something like
  for x in `hostname -f`...
in it. This prevents the .Xauthority file from being created
correctly, since this is done in the loop above. If you are root,
this will also mess up your hostname.

Strange. Did I miss something?

Heinz
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org