Fwd: [SATLUG] Kernel

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Mon Oct 1 20:02:54 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:50:58PM -0400, Jeffrey B . Ferland wrote:
> Will try, though I know not what we expect to gain from it as anything to
> travel over the console lines would have to be initialized by the kernel
> first (since my BIOS doesn't do serial consoles). And it ain't booting, which
> makes me curious because my old image worked...
>
> -Jeff

AFAIK the main reason for serial console's existence in the kernel is
debugging problems like yours. Kernel initializes it early. It has nothing
to do with the general purpose serial.o, I think. I debugged a buggy framebuffer
driver this way. In addition, when configuring the kernel, select extended debug
reporting in "Kernel hacking" or something like that.

Sergey

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org