Problems with gnome-terminal not starting properly under GDM

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Mon Oct 1 18:09:04 PDT 2001

> Do all of these users have the same exact GNOME preference files? I don't
> know where they are... ~/.gnome ??? Maybe there is something
> weird/old/outdated in the cc user's preference files???

Problem solved!

I checked the preferences, or anything that could be different in the two
GNOME setups, and they were pretty much the same.  However, I kept going
with that line of thought and eventually worked my way back to /etc/passwd
(which I should have thought of sooner), where user steve had an explicit
entry for /bin/bash as the shell and user cc had nothing.  Fixing that
seems to have solved the problem.

I guess I'd better write myself a decent adduser script to avoid these sort
of messes again...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org