Fwd: [SATLUG] Kernel

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Mon Oct 1 15:29:52 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:48:41PM -0400, Jeffrey B . Ferland wrote:

> The woes of a user returning.
>
> Just got Mandrake on my new spiffy computer, compiled a new kernel (want LFS
> dude!), and it don't boot. Runs through all the steps up to: "Uncompressing
> linux...OK, booting kernel" (or something very similar) and then it just sits
> there. In my frustration of not having a computer to work on for severeal
> months and an inability to use all my devices, I'd like for somebody to offer
> a possible answer as to why (sure it's obvious, just too frustrated to think)
>
> - -Jeff

Have another box ( not so new & spiffy will do the job ), hook it up with
that net toy through serial ports.
On the 'another' box start console on connected serial port.
On the 'trouble' box recompile the kernel with serial console support and
try to boot.
If you're lucky, might see something worthwhile.

Sergey
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org