Programs run from terminal but not from menu

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Mon Oct 1 08:28:58 PDT 2001

Steve Bougerolle wrote:
> I've got two MPEG player programs which I can run from a terminal, or using
> the "Run" command in the GNOME menu, but which will NOT run if I make
> regular GNOME menu entries out of them.  I'm completely mystified why this
> is happening.  Worse, I don't seem to be able to coax any error messages
> out of the system.  It runs the programs, an icon briefly appears for a
> fraction of a second, then they just disappear without notice.

If you look at wherever you send your X Errors, it'll probably say
something to indicate a PATH problem. I think the basic problem stems
from GNOME not having a PATH where these programs live. Do you startx
from a tty with startx, or do you use XDM/KDM/GDM? Whichever way you
do it you need to be sure that there is a PATH set so GNOME is happy.

==== using startx ====
What is your PATH set to? If you are on tty[1-6], `echo $PATH'. Also,
do a `declare -p PATH'.

If output does not contain "/usr/bin" (for your Xtheater), add it.

If you get:
declare -- PATH="<all the directories in your path>"

instead of:
declare -x PATH="<all the directories in your path>"

then you need to export it (-- vs. -x).

If you have an ~/.xinitrc you can add additional paths in there too.

==== using XDM ====
Same idea as above. Except, XDM does not start you from a tty. To get
the proper environment into your xsession as started via XDM you need
to find the script controlling this (try /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession) and
be sure to source your shell init files in there or in your ~/.xsession

> and here's the one for Xtheater:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Xtheater VCD player
> Comment=VCD Player
> Exec=/usr/bin/xtheater
> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/wm-icons/48x48-kde2/video.xpm
> Terminal=false
> MultipleArgs=false
> Type=Application

But what I say above doesn't tell me why this doesn't work..? I would
think "Exec=/usr/bin/xtheater" would work fine. I don't know how GNOME
does its thing though...
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org