Hostname not found

Florian Bachmann f_bachmann at t-online.de
Mon Oct 1 07:47:20 PDT 2001

On Monday 01 October 2001 13:07, you wrote:
> hello,
> whenever I start X, the system prints "Hostname lookup error" or
> something like this (I am writing this from my brain).
>
> My .xinitrc has only one line (startkde). This problem also occurs
> with blackbox, so I assume, it is X related and not windowmanager
> related.
>
> Any hints?
> Jan

This is just a guess, but the error message you get may be related to the old
hostname program oddity - there are actually two hostname programs, one from
the GNU sh-utils package and one from net-tools. Only the latter understands
the command line switches used by the startx script that is part of XFree86,
the other will set your hostname to something like "-f". To verify this,
launch your X session, then type in hostname in a shell. If the reported
hostname is something like "-f", you are using the wrong hostname program.

Hope this helps.

--
Florian Bachmann <f_bachmann at t-online.de>
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org