My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 1 06:47:13 PDT 2001

Andy Blower wrote:

> No wonder it's having problems. How does it figure
> out which  partition to mount as root?

I think that you should use lilo to boot all your systems.  The errors
caused by other things (Partition Magic and Boot Mng?), do not help to give
any confidence.

Lilo will overwrite the MBR of hda, that is all.  If you want to restore it
to its original msdos format, then boot a msdos floppy and run either
FDISK/MBR C:  or FDISK\MBR C:
This will remove any reference to Linux from the MBR

Your lilo.conf  should contain something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
default=msdog

other=/dev/hda1
label=msdog

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=lfs
root=/dev/hdb2

You can fill in the rest for yourself.  Once you can boot the two systems;
then you could put that spare disk back (possibly as the slave on ide2).
Then re-partition it, and see if it is really faulty, by building another
LFS system on it.

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org