Cross compiling

John McSwain jmcswain at infoave.net
Mon Oct 1 05:05:20 PDT 2001

I have i586 machines and a i686 (Duron).  I am trying to setup a patition on
the i686 with an LFS-3.0 system that I can use to build a system I can
transfer to an i586.  Somewhat using the hint "Cross-compiling on ix86
platforms" I have done the following:

1. Used a k6-200 to build LFS-3.0
2. Transferred this system to the i686
3.  Implemented the uname hack to give "i586"
4.  Used this sytem to build another LFS-3.0 which works fine
5.  Transferred this new system back to the k6-200 where it fails to boot.

On the k6-200 the kernel will load and then when it mounts the root file
system it hangs.  Besides the uname hack I had CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS set to
"-O3 -march=i586" on all builds.

Thanks,

John
jmcswain at infoave.net