My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Andy Blower andy.blower at sopheon.com
Mon Oct 1 04:29:12 PDT 2001

So, what you are saying is that it's trying to mount hda1 (which is a dos
FAT16 partition) as root? No wonder it's having problems. How does it figure
out which  partition to mount as root? I thought that it was defined in the
lilo.conf as root=**** and the /etc/fstab (for remounting rw). Is it defined
anywhere else because I think I have got these right? I will double check
tonight.

In the configuration which produces the Kernel Panic (and incidentaly my
panic too.. ;-), I have the DOS/Windows disk on hda: ide0 master and the LFS
(Redhat is long gone!!) disk on hdb:ide0 slave. The other disk is sitting on
the desk and this is the one that used to have redhat & my boot partition
when it sat as hdb. I have moved LFS disk from hdc to hdb simply so I can
have a /dev/hdb2 partition (/boot) with lilo on it since the other disk
can't be got to work reliably and this is what the Boot Mgr on the windows
disk points to (shame I cannot fix the #116 error Partition Magic gives so I
could just then use PM to redo the pointer for Linux). I may try to use a
different Boot Mgr as well but this seems risky for my windows disk.

So I have created a partition on the LFS disk which appears as /dev/hdb2 in
this config and the boot manager will boot from if the Linux option is
selected. I know that my original post is long and convoluted, but the
information is there - it's a very hard thing to describe without writing a
dissertation and defining all assumptions (and I think I'd rather throw the
computer away lol).

I will post my tables and lilo.conf for this config tonight if I didn't make
a mistake that I can spot.

Thanks for your help - it's appreciated.

Andy