My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 1 04:09:23 PDT 2001

Andy Blower wrote:

<snipped>

So glad that you have had an interesting weekend

> Yes I changed lilo.conf appropriately each time (boot=/dev/hda for 3rd
> (lfs) disk as hda with lilo on MBR and boot=/dev/hdb2 for 3rd disk as hdb
> with OS/2 Bmgr kicking to /dev/hdb2).
>

>> > [MS-DOS FS Rel 12, FAT 16,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=000]
>> >
>> [me=0xf8,cs=4,#f=2,fs=1,fl=12,ds=25,de=512,data=57,se=32,ts=0,
>> ls=512,rc=0,f
>> >c =4294967295]
>> > Transaction block size = 512
>> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is hda1.  From linux/Documentation/devices.txt block device 3;  0=hda,
64=hdb;  plus partition number.  The booting kernel is seeing /dev/hda1 as
a FAT partition.

Have you got your MSDOS on hda; with the disk jumpered as master; and the
old Redhat, on hdb, this jumpered as slave?  So is hdc the master on the
second IDE with a CDROM as slave?

You say that you are running lilo; so your boot is off hda, I am not clear
as to your booting method.  Is lilo booting the MSDOS and the Linux systems?

I would like you to post your partition tables, and you lilo.conf; since it
is not obvious what is wrong.

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org