My Nightmare weekend with LFS

Andy Blower andy.blower at sopheon.com
Mon Oct 1 02:50:15 PDT 2001

Wow, thanks for reading - I'm impressed. ;-)

Yes I changed lilo.conf appropriately each time (boot=/dev/hda for 3rd (lfs)
disk as hda with lilo on MBR and boot=/dev/hdb2 for 3rd disk as hdb with
OS/2 Bmgr kicking to /dev/hdb2).

I wrote that mail last night (nearly breaking the keyboard in my anger and
frustration. I have had a bit more time to think about it now and my problem
seems to revolve around the windows disk and the un-backed up data it
contains. Even if I had a Backup, it's the thought of re-installing
everything and setting it up.. took ages and I really don't wan't to repeat
it. I think that either installing another Boot Manager and taking the risk
is my only option unless someone can tell me why this kernel panic is
happening.

I feel confident that I could replace the suspect disk as hdb, recreate hdb2
on it, install lilo here and boot LFS via the Boot Mgr, unfortunately going
on past experience this would last only 1 or 2 reboots.. why the hell can't
I get the 3rd disk to work??

Cheers,
Andy.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org