--- Makedev / Mknod --- psaux

eriddle at linuxcare.com eriddle at linuxcare.com
Thu Nov 30 15:13:34 PST 2000

Quoting Rob Bercik on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:40:43PM -0500 :
> eriddle at linuxcare.com wrote:
>
> > Quoting Rob Bercik on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:00:35PM -0500 :
> > > Yeah,
> > >
> > >     When I was editing the makedev script and looking at the major and minor
> > > numbers in devices.txt i realized that it is the same device... Could the name
> > > cause a conflict? The thing is on my redhat system, psaux works, but the
> > > MAKEDEV on my system is not a script it's a binary so I can't really see what
> > > it's doing. I haven't tried it yet after editing the LFS MAKEDEV script to make
> > > psaux instead of psmouse, I'll fill you all in when I try it...I'm sure you'll
> > > all be at the end of your seats.
> > >
> > > -Rob
> > >

> > You could just mv /dev/psmouse to /dev/psaux :)
> >

> Hmmm,
>
>     I guess I just really don't understand device files all that well...
> anywhooo
>
> -Rob

The very interesting thing about UNIX is that everything is a file of
some sort or another.  Device files are special files that allow the
kernel to talk through them to the devices.  The major and minor
numbers are what the Kernel pays attention to, more so than the names;
that and the type (character, block, pipes).

Even directories are just files that keep the filename to inode
associations of all the files in the directory.  Once you get a grasp
of the fact that everything is just a file, things start
to make a little more sense (like permissions on directories :).

Anyway, I've not set up a wheel mouse, but I think the problem may have
something to do with your X configuration.  Or are you struggling with
gpm?

Cheers,
Ed

--