nano and joe hints

richard at reika.demon.co.uk richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 14:54:39 PST 2000

Misquoted from Rudolf Floers on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:33:34PM +0100:

> > sed s@/usr/local@/usr@ < Makefile > Makefile~
>
> i'm finding it a good idea to change
> WHERERC = /usr/lib
> WHERERC = /etc/joe
>
> What do you think, Richard?

Excellent.  I had a ~richard/.joerc and did not bother fixing
the sytem defaults. I should not be so lazy. While we are at it,
lets fix the man page - I'm trying a build without the man and
info symlinks.

joe
===

Very configurable, easy to learn and plenty of features.
I used this for several months until having to press two
buttons to play back macros annoyed me too much.

Download: ftp://ftp.std.com/src/editors/joe2.8.tar.Z

What's a .Z? Who cares, gzip can handle it.
unpack the source

sed -e 's@\(WHEREJOE = \).*@\1/usr/lib@'\
    -e 's@\(WHERERC = \).*@\1/etc@'\
    -e 's@\(WHEREMAN = \).*@\1/usr/share/man/man1@'\
    Makefile >Makefile~
mv -f Makefile~ Makefile
make
make install

PS
I know nano does not have unfulfilled dependancies at the time
vim gets installed in LFS-2.4.3
I know joe did not have unfulfilled dependancies at the time
vim gets installed in LFS-2.4.0

joe just failed to install on with my LFS-2.4.3 based automated
compile script. The problem is stat command does not exist.
stat is not on my host OS (compiled with an earlier version
of the same script) so the problem could be a mistake I made
on one of the earlier packages, The copy of joe in the source
tree runs fine. It's been a long day and I am too tired to work
out what is wrong tonight. I will try again on Saturday.

Anyone know what package stat comes from?

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org