Which package contains lex?

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Thu Nov 30 03:28:48 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:04:17PM +0100, Kaj Merten Berggreen wrote:
> OK, so I could use my server for compiling as it has a Pentium 166 and
> about 8 Gb of free harddisk space, but how can I produce binaries for
> the 386 on that machine? And at which point will I have to move to the
> target system?

run all configure sripts with --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu and modify the
environment variables; install the packages into a subdirectory on your
P166. then cp all the stuff you need to the i386 - you won't need a
development environment on your i386 --> no gcc, no bison, etc., no or only
special man/info pages (to save diskspace), no static libraries, no header
files, no kernel source, and probably a lot more rules i'm not aware of.
generally 500MByte is more than enough for your purposes, i've installed
SuSE on a 250MByte HD (with XFree even).
think of using nfs if you run out of disk space, it's very comfortable to me.

> BTW Is it absolutely necessary to have a special partition for the lfs
> system? - It shall become the only system on the 386 besides a few Mb
> partition with DOS for setup stuff. I want to completely replace the
> SuSE Linux with it.

you could also delete the SuSE installation and plug the harddisk into you
server, so that you won't need to boot from that disk.

> I know that these are extreme conditions, but I want to use my old
> computer for typing some tex documents and email, should be possible
> though it has only 8 Mb of RAM and no floppy or cdrom-drive, only a
> network adapter.

it's not going to be fast, i think, but should be able to run a text editor
and mutt.

> Hej då, Kaj M.

what does hej d°a mean (and how do you type it ;-))?

RF

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org