vnc with kde2

Brad Hartin bhartin at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 29 14:08:32 PST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Greg T Hill wrote:

> Has any one had any luck running kde2 over vnc?  I have been vnc to connect
> from kde2 to a kde1.2 box with no difficulty.  I finished installing kde2 on
> that box and kde2 crashes in the vncviewer on start, all I can get is an
> xterm.

I just tested this...VNC 3.3.3, kde1 client, kde2 server.  Keep in mind
though that both systems are Redhat[*] (6.2+massive updates, server is
using kernel 2.4.0-test9).  My ~/.vnc/xstartup was set to
"/opt/kde2/bin/startkde".

I connected just fine, to find a crash warning with kio_uiserver, but it
didn't seem to affect operation.  KPanel menus worked just fine, and was
able to use applications just fine.

[*] Hey now, this box WILL be LFS...in fact already has an LFS partition
setup.  I just haven't had time to do anything else with it =).

Brad Hartin - bhartin at strafco.com
Communications Administrator
Straus Frank Enterprises, Ltd.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org