Hints maintainer

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 28 18:33:16 PST 2000

Ok here's what is involved to maintain the LFS-HINTS in their current form
(this will change with the LFS InfoSys but that's still quite a while away).

The only major requirement is that whoever starts maintaining the hints is a
frequent reader of all the lfs mailinglists (preferably read the lists at
least a few times a week so you're always up-to-date) so when somebody
announces a new hint you know about it within a day or two.

You then copy/paste the hint from the email (or save attachment if the
submitter was so friendly to send an attachment) into a .txt file, do some
grammar and spell checking at the best of your ability and upload the file to
the linuxfromscratch.org server. You're going to need ssh installed in order
to do that (as you need to use scp to upload the files).

Whether you keep a local archive on your computer and use the rsync program
to bring archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-hints in sync with your own
computer, or you only fiddle with the archive on archive.linuxfromscratch.org
is your own choice. Or if you have a different method in mind you would like
to use, go ahead. If you require extra software it can be aranged.

Yes, in order for you to be able to upload the files you need a user account.
The side-effect is that you get an email youruser at linuxfromscratch.org
address with pop3 capability. All free of charge.

So really the only big thing is that you need to read the mailinglists often
and be so kind to let me know when you can't maintain it anymore before we
end up in the current situation where we don't know what happened to Simon.

Since more than one person have already shown interest in maintaining the
hints, I have to make a choice primarily based on how quick you can update
the archive after a hint has been posted (either new one or modified one). I
don't expect same-day service (although that would be great of course).
Within 2 to 3 days is reasonable to me.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org