Problems with samba

Sanjuro Europa sanjuro_e at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 09:18:13 PST 2000

Does the samba on you Suse system work properly?

If not you have the same problem I have, but it doesn't have anything to do
with samba but with a bug in Windows. Try 'smbclient -L <w98_name> -I
192.168.1.20'. If this does work create a file called 'lmhosts', see the
samba manual for details.

This doesn't solve anything, but it is a work-around. The real problem (in
my case) is that my Win98 machine doesn't send a name-response back over
TCP/IP, it does however send a response over NetBIEU. For a Windows machine
the work-around is easy, just install NetBIEU. But Linux/Samba doesn't
support this protocol. I (and my others) haven't been able to find a
solution for this problem. For some people TCP/IP works and for others it
doesn't.

Sanjuro