XFree86 4.0.1 & Intel 810 chipset

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 27 11:26:39 PST 2000

On November 26, 2000 12:47 pm, you wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this combination? I managed to get

Yes I do

> XFree86 3.3.6 working fine with the Intel 810, by downloading the agpgart.o
> module and the replacement X Server from intel's site.
>
> I'm following the X 4.0.1 & KDE 2 hint from the lfs web site.
>
> I've managed to compile agpgart.o for the 2.4 kernel, but I haven't managed
> to configure XF86Config right at all. It looks like support for the i810 is
> built into XFree86 4.0.1, so I don't think I have to replace the Xserver.
> But if I put driver="i810" into XF86Config, it replies that the module i810
> doesn't exist.

First of all, don't use any software from the Intel website when you want to
run X 4.0.1 and you want to use a 2.4 kernel (which you already are so that's
good)

> I was also looking around, (and can't remember the exact path, sorry), but
> found a directory in something like /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/drivers/ which
> seemed to have drivers for a lot of graphics cards, including the i740. But
> there was no file for the i810. Is this the problem? And does it show that
> Xfree86 didn't compile / install support for the 810 chipset, somehow?

I've attached my XF86Config file (compressed with bzip2) that's working fine
for me. It needs /usr/X11/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o

I can't remember what config. option during the installation of X causes the
Intel drivers to be built or not.  So to be safe, do follow the LFS-HINT
(X11Guide is a good one to use) but when it says to comment out drivers don't
do that. leave it the way it is. that will build all the drivers but at least
assure that the Intel one is built to (or read the documentation; it does
explain which config option(s) (ie: driver abreviation/class) apply to the
Intel drivers).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org