can't open pseudo-term?

Ainsley Pereira marble at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 27 11:25:46 PST 2000

In message <20001126220443.A767 at taranis.arnhem.chello.nl>
          llhorian at chello.nl (Arnout Couperus) wrote:

> What, pray tell, is a pseudo-term and why won't it open?

Things to check/try:
1. Unix98 PTY's enabled in your kernel config
2. /dev/pts mounted (line like:
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
in /etc/fstab should do it)

There's also the possibility that configure picked up a wrong setting - this happened to me with screen, and was fixed with a little hacking.

I'd tell you what a pty is, only I've just seen the time. Read the help on the unix98 pty option in the kernel config:)

~A.

   / Ainsley Pereira       /   aka Marble on Snowplains   /
  /                       / telnet://snowplains.org:3456 /

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org