XFree86 4.0.1 & Intel 810 chipset

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 27 02:11:40 PST 2000

On Monday 27 November 2000 06:47, you wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this combination? I managed to get
> XFree86 3.3.6 working fine with the Intel 810, by downloading the agpgart.o
> module and the replacement X Server from intel's site.
>
> I'm following the X 4.0.1 & KDE 2 hint from the lfs web site.
>
> I've managed to compile agpgart.o for the 2.4 kernel, but I haven't managed
> to configure XF86Config right at all. It looks like support for the i810 is
> built into XFree86 4.0.1, so I don't think I have to replace the Xserver.
> But if I put driver="i810" into XF86Config, it replies that the module i810
> doesn't exist.

I don't have an 810, but I have spent sometime looking at agpgart for the
purposes of getting hardware 3d rendering on my G200.

One mistake I made - when enabling agpgart, I forgot to also select the
appropriate chipset - 440BX in my case. From memory, I ended up with an
agpgart.o module, but it didn't work - not surprisingly. Anyway, have you
enabled both options - "/dev/agpgart support", and "Intel I810/I815 support"?

By the way, the 810 is on the list of cards with hardware 3d support. It's a
little tricky to get working, but if you use any GL-based apps, you may find
a big difference in performance.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org