Copying Windows system using Linux

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Nov 26 23:37:32 PST 2000

Yo,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 12:35:17AM -0700, barry wrote:
> yep, but the extensions to the file system which make it
> have extended file name size allow the interpreting OS to
> use those extended namespaces.  Of course, it's entirely up
> to the OS and DOS itself has never been directly modified to
> handle the extended namespace (which is more like a band-aid
> placed on a gaping wound)... In any case, DOS in win9x up
> has some support for it, but it's not completely integrated
> as far as I can tell.

ya... as it doesn't matter to dos, it only reads 8.3 for a filename, but
someone allready posted a much nicer way of doing it, so no worries =)

> heh, I only use windows to play games right now, and on my
> home PC win9x seems to operate better in that way than win2k
> has.  Now, I have 40 gigs of space so it's not like I can't
> install 9x, 2k and linux...but I'm using much of the space
> playing with different implentations of linux right now, so
> I prefer not to play with win2k unless I have to...

Same here, binary.highos.com (my new box) is dual booting between Win2k
and Linux right now... the only (real) reason Win2k is installed is i
really do like the new UI Look&Feel w/ IE and i love to play
Half-life: Counter-Strike which isn't ported to UNIX (except for the
server, which i run anyways on quasar.highos.com ;)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org