Copying Windows system using Linux

barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Sun Nov 26 23:35:17 PST 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 12:13:48AM -0700, barry wrote:
> > perhaps a good suggestion might be to copy the c:\windows
> > directory and the files on the root of C: over to the target
> > partition using DOS xcopy, then copy the rest of the dirs
> > over with linux... Of course, why not use xcopy for the
> > whole thing, then?
>
> DOS has a limitation, which is filename length...? would that not
> complicate things more? Dunno..

yep, but the extensions to the file system which make it
have extended file name size allow the interpreting OS to
use those extended namespaces.  Of course, it's entirely up
to the OS and DOS itself has never been directly modified to
handle the extended namespace (which is more like a band-aid
placed on a gaping wound)... In any case, DOS in win9x up
has some support for it, but it's not completely integrated
as far as I can tell.

> Either way i don't have DOS/Win9x/WinME installed on any of my boxes,
> there all Win2k ;) (hrm..not all, i mean they dual boot with Linux/LFS
> :)
>
> -

heh, I only use windows to play games right now, and on my
home PC win9x seems to operate better in that way than win2k
has.  Now, I have 40 gigs of space so it's not like I can't
install 9x, 2k and linux...but I'm using much of the space
playing with different implentations of linux right now, so
I prefer not to play with win2k unless I have to...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org