Copying Windows system using Linux

barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Sun Nov 26 23:26:38 PST 2000

Steve Loft wrote:

> On Saturday 25 November 2000  6:58 pm, you wrote:
>
> > the problem is that the ext2 options for files are different
> > than the fat32/16 options for files.  I don't believe there
> > is a way to declare files as "system" in linux, which may be
> > a problem with your copying...
>
> That was the problem. I changed the files which need the "system"
> attribute, but that still didn't let me boot.  But it did let me do
> "sys c:", and after that it booted!
>
> Thanks to everyone for their help.
>
> To summarise, in case it helps anyone else, these are the steps I
> needed to take:
>
> 1. Format the new windows partition, either under Windows or Linux.
> 2. Mount the old and new windows partitions, say under /old and /new.
> 3. cp -ax /old /new
> 4. Remove the old drive, and put the new one in its place so it becomes
> /dev/hda.
> 5. Boot using a Windows boot floppy
> 6. Add the "SHR" attributes to MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS
> 7. Do a "SYS C:".
> 8. You should now be able to boot Windows from C:
>
> This is what worked for me. YM, as they say, MV :)

woohoo!

you know, I wonder  what sys.com exactly does.  Since it's a
com file, it should be readable.  I wonder if it does
something with the mbr, which would make sense.  perhaps a
replacement might be fdisk /mbr from the A: prompt.
however, sys will work in either case :)... always searching
to figure out alternative ways to do something :)

not to be a "chearleader" or anything, but this is one of
those times when one gets a sense of satisfaction with being
part of the linux community.  This is how things are
supposed to be.  congrats on your success with using linux
to do this, and thanks for listing the steps.  This will
help in the future... :)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org