Small Home Network

Guillaume Pancak gpancak at free.fr
Sun Nov 26 08:47:56 PST 2000

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 09:09:21AM +0200, Ian.F.Skosan wrote:

> Hi there I,am still a bit new to Linux but are enjoying it.
> I have two PC's on a home network. but how do I allow both PC,s to surf the
> net at once.
>
> What IP,s must I have in the resolv.conf file and what must my routes be.
> I still abit new to the routing commands.
>
> My Home network 192.168.4.101
>                           192.168.4.102
>
> My ISP                 196.25.1.1          P. Nameserver
>                            196.154.16.1      S.Nameserver
>
> Thank you
>
> Ian
hi Ian,

Fisrt, you need to enable IP_forward, both in your kernel and in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.

Second in your resolv.conf you need to add two lines like :

#begin /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 196.25.1.1
nameserver 196.154.16.1
#End of /etc/resolv.conf

third, you certainly need to configure ip_masquerade or a proxy (ex: squid).

The rest depend of what kinds of link you use to connect your network to internet. But usually you need to have set a default route to your isp. this job is
often make by pppd daemons.. looks various Howto's to do this. like ppphowto or and ip masq howto...etc...etc..

Bye.

guillaume pancak
gpancak at free.fr

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org