Copying Windows system using Linux

barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Sat Nov 25 10:58:57 PST 2000

Steve Loft wrote:

> On Saturday 25 November 2000  2:25 pm, you wrote:
>
> > if you haven't tried yet: format the partition with the windows-tool
> > format, which should be on the win98 bootdisk.
>
> Yes, I tried that before I tried the mkdosfs way.  If I do a "format c:
> /s" I can then boot the partition. Once I go back into linux and copy
> the files, I get the problems I described above.
>
> I guess I could use a native DOS method of copying the files, but it
> annoys me that I can't do it from Linux.
>
> Steve
>
> --

hello

if you can, try to sys the volume...

this can be done by creating a win98 boot disk and typing
"sys" at the a: prompt.

or, I believe that sys.com is in c:\windows\command

the problem is that the ext2 options for files are different
than the fat32/16 options for files.  I don't believe there
is a way to declare files as "system" in linux, which may be
a problem with your copying...

of course, if you have a perfect copy of your original FAT
partition, you can try copying it directly instead of
copying the files.

you'd do this by doing the following:

cat /dev/<your original DOS fs> > /dev/<your new DOS fs>

good luck :)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org