Copying Windows system using Linux

didbaba didbaba at free.fr
Sat Nov 25 06:38:17 PST 2000

Le Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 12:21:30PM +0000 approximativement, Steve Loft écrivait un message de 0,8K :
> On Monday 20 November 2000  1:19 pm, you wrote:
>
> > # use mkdosfs to format a new partition here it is /dev/hda1 (verify
> > the option) mkdosfs -c -L 32 /dev/hda1
>
> This seems to have worked from the Linux point of view, but windows
> isn't happy.  I can read the files perfectly from Linux, but when I
> boot Windows from LILO, I just get a few garbage characters on the
> screen.
>
> If I boot from a Windows 98 floppy, I can see the directory structure
> OK, but trying to access a file gives me a 'sector not found error'. As
> I said, I can read the files perfectly under linux.
>
> Something to do with the size of the disk perhaps?  It's 30GB, and the
> windows partition is the first 2GB.  I've got 'LBA' set in the BIOS.
>
> Steve

I have no problem with 2Gb limit because my windows partition is less than 2 Gb. So I can't answer.
Do you try to boot with a W98 floppy disk and do
format c:
Does your windows partition still be 2 Gb ?
What is the size of your windows98 partition ? is it only 2Gb or you can only see 2Gb.

--
didbaba