Dynamically loading modules

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Fri Nov 24 13:37:17 PST 2000

On Friday 24 November 2000 19:53, you wrote:
> I compile all my kernels with Kmod support, but for
> some reason it doesn't work. It won't load my
> sounddriver when needed, neither it loads NVdriver
> when starting X.
>
> I "solved" the first problem by compiling the
> sounddriver into the kernel instead of as module. But
> this really isn't a solution and won't work for
> NVdriver.
>
> So why doesn't kmod load modules?

you have to tell the moduleloader which driver should be loaded for
a certain service.
that is done in the file /etc/modules.conf
mine looks like this:

# File /etc/modules.conf - Kernel Moduleloader Configuration

# Networking
alias eth0 dmfe
alias net-pf-9 loop

# Graphics
alias char-major-195 NVdriver

# Sound
alias char-major-14 emu10k1

read man modules.conf, man modprobe, .../linux/Documentation/modules.txt

Hope that helps

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org