Mirror copy of current LFS sys

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Fri Nov 24 11:14:32 PST 2000

On Friday 24 November 2000 17:56, you wrote:
> > but what does it mean when a FS is a _journaling_ FS as opposed to
> > non-journaling, like ext2/FAT/NTFS/etc?
>
> Actually, IIRC NTFS, and HPFS? are indeed journaling FS's.  Note that
> journeling generaly hurts write performance a bit (doesn't affect reads
> IIRC), but the stabilty of the filesystem is much more importent to most
> ppl.

I would recomand you reiserfs, because as has been said before, it has most
momentum, and is thus most throughly tested.
(I am using it since about 1 year as only filesystem, and never had a
problem.)

As to preformance, what you say is just wrong, reiserfs is not only journaling
(i.e. it records what write operations to do before actually doing them, so
if a power loss interrupts a write, your data doesn't get (too) corrupted)
it also uses a balanced tree algorithm, as opposed to the linear allocation
other filesystems use (ext2/3, jfs, NTFS, HPFS)
That makes disk access *faster* than nojournaling codes. (especially for
small files)
For more information see the ReiserFS homepage  http://www.namesys.com/

As a last plus for RFS, is that according to rumors it will probably become
part of the next official Linux Kernel (2.5/2.6)

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org