2.4 kernel & lilo

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Thu Nov 23 01:33:29 PST 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:13:15PM -0000, Tom Cashman wrote:
> Yeah - that was it :]. I was thinking that I'd need to let programs get to
> the old kernel include files, but I suppose I want them to look at the 2.4
> header files now, anyway. So bad idea all round!

Actually... IIRC Linus recommends you leave the kernel headers in
/usr/src/linux that you compiled the rest of the system again'ts
(not that it matters from what i've seen, but you never know how
paranoid one can get ;)

> Now the kernel's working, I was thinking of getting some usable network
> facility going for the 2-computer LAN I have at home. The other machine is
> (apologies) Windows 95, and I wondered if anybody had any suggestions for
> how to make the ethernet usable. I can ping the other machine from either,
> but I can't figure out how to do much else. I suppose Linux won't ever show
> in Windows' 'Network Neighbourhood', will it? Ideally, I'd want to share
> files, the printer and the dial-up connection (when I *finally* get round to
> sorting that out in LFS). I know I'll need a proxy server for the latter. Is
> printing over an ethernet easy in linux? And is the best way to share files
> to set up an FTP server on one of the machines, or is there a better way?

go with Samba, File and Print sharing on the SMB Protocol (ala 'Network
Neighbourhood'

http://www.samba.org

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org