2.4 kernel & lilo

delgarde at ihug.co.nz delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 22 23:06:19 PST 2000

> Now the kernel's working, I was thinking of getting some usable network
> facility going for the 2-computer LAN I have at home. The other machine is
> (apologies) Windows 95, and I wondered if anybody had any suggestions for
> how to make the ethernet usable. I can ping the other machine from either,
> but I can't figure out how to do much else. I suppose Linux won't ever show
> in Windows' 'Network Neighbourhood', will it? Ideally, I'd want to share
> files, the printer and the dial-up connection (when I *finally* get round to
> sorting that out in LFS). I know I'll need a proxy server for the latter. Is
> printing over an ethernet easy in linux? And is the best way to share files
> to set up an FTP server on one of the machines, or is there a better way?

For file and printer sharing, install Samba (www.samba.org) - that provides
Windows-style networking, so that Linux *does* show up under the Net
Neighbourhood.

As for sharing a dialup connection, there's plenty of documentation available
for older kernels - 2.0 and 2.2 - but probably a lot less for 2.4. Nonetheless,
try the IP-Masquerade HOWTO.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org