2.4 kernel & lilo

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Wed Nov 22 14:10:30 PST 2000

> I wanted to compile a 2.4 kernel to go alongside the 2.2 I installed with
> lfs. Okay, so I moved the /usr/src/linux directory...

U should have a /usr/src/linux-2.2.x and /usr/src/linux-2.4.0test10
There should then be a symlink /usr/src/linux pointing to the current kernel
you're running

> ...I renamed System.map in the /boot directory,...

Did you know that U can have a different System.map for each kernel in
/boot, all at the same time?
Read on...

> Then copied the bzImage over
> into /boot,...

I like to name all my kernels in /boot to vmlinuz plus the version number
like this:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17

Sometimes I also put the date and/or time compiled at the end too.  This is
exactly how u use the mutiple System.maps..  Simply name them the same as
the kernel image it's matched too and it will be used by default.  For
example:

/boot/System.map-2.2.17

Will be used with the above kernel automaticly!  Just look at dmesg for
proof....

> ...added an entry in /etc/lilo.conf identical to the
> 2.2kernel but
> with a different label and image, and reran lilo.

U did good there

> Is this symptomatic of anything in particular?

Not doing one of the above...

HTH,

~jason

--