2.4 kernel & lilo

Tom Cashman tom at cashmans.screaming.net
Wed Nov 22 13:13:15 PST 2000

Yeah - that was it :]. I was thinking that I'd need to let programs get to
the old kernel include files, but I suppose I want them to look at the 2.4
header files now, anyway. So bad idea all round!

Now the kernel's working, I was thinking of getting some usable network
facility going for the 2-computer LAN I have at home. The other machine is
(apologies) Windows 95, and I wondered if anybody had any suggestions for
how to make the ethernet usable. I can ping the other machine from either,
but I can't figure out how to do much else. I suppose Linux won't ever show
in Windows' 'Network Neighbourhood', will it? Ideally, I'd want to share
files, the printer and the dial-up connection (when I *finally* get round to
sorting that out in LFS). I know I'll need a proxy server for the latter. Is
printing over an ethernet easy in linux? And is the best way to share files
to set up an FTP server on one of the machines, or is there a better way?

Many thanks,
    Tom Cashman