Can't see symbolic links from chroot'd environment

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 22 11:13:10 PST 2000

On November 22, 2000 10:11 am, you wrote:
> Thanks Gerard, your hint helped me see the problem. When I did
>
>    ls -l /usr/include/linux
>
> I saw that the symbolic link pointed to
>
>    $LFS/usr/src/linux/include/linux.
>
> Of course this works when in the normal environment, but when I chroot to
> $LFS, the symbolic link points to a non-existant directory **relative** to
> the new root. This points out a problem in the version of the LFS document
> that I have. These symbolic links are set up several pages prior to setting
> up the chroot'd environment. That is why they point to the non-existent
> directory later on. I simply removed the symbolic links, and then while in
> the chroot'd environment I re-created them so that everything was relative
> to the new root. You might consider this chnage for a future version of the
> document.

You can point symbolic links to non-existant files or directories. When the
directories or files are created afterwards the symlink will work. the
/usr/include/linux symlink should not point to
$LFS/usr/src/linux/include/linux and the current book does not have that, so
I suggest you get the latest book and use it.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org