Mirror copy of current LFS sys

Cristian chgarcia at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 22 10:56:27 PST 2000

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 07:30:32PM +0100, Julio Recalde wrote:
> Hi. Currently I have my LFS system on hdb and my suse system on hda, hdb is mine, the other is no. I'm just wainting for the 2.4.0 release to start building a new LFS system using the new version (2.4.3 I  think) and a journaling fs, either reiserfs or ext3? what do you recoment? what about tuxfs, any links to it?
> The point is that I'd like to install the new sys on hdb using my current LFS sys, is there anyway I can make a mirror copy of the current system over hda, reinstall lilo and begin the task? How could I do it using just suse's boot disk or rescue system?

What I did was build LFS on a normal subdir (not a partition), and then
use SuSE's rescue disk (disk 2) to set up a RAM disk system and from
there just mv all the old directories to /old and unpack the new
directories in place from /LFS. It worked perfectly well. So you don't
need a separate partition to build a system (as long as you have a rescue
system). Plan well details (you need to run lilo with new kernel just
before doing this swap). Good luck,
C.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org