multiple processes

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 22 01:34:14 PST 2000

> when i do top i see my multiple process for one application like
> 4 xmms
> 9 kdeinit
> 7 mozilla-bin
> etc..
>
> is that normal?

Short version is, the kernel is concerned with processes, not applications.
Multi-process apps get an entry in ps or top for each process.

I don't know about top, but ps treats threads that way too - I have 5 entries
for licq, even though it only has one process. Confusing, because the
resources are shared between threads - it's not actually taking up as much
memory as it appears.

So in short, all of those apps are either multi-process or multi-threading.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org